I've been seeing symptoms of my thyroid under-functioning for some time, but haven't known what to do about it. One thing about all the inner work I've been doing these past years is realizing I need to go back to holistic healing methodologies: self-healing, multi-modal, plant-based, self-perpetuating, and natural. Especially since I have no insurance and have been under-employed since my return from Korea, I must heal myself and do it inexpensively! Part of me has needed to remain in denial and the other part of my has felt powerless to do anything (thus, the necessity of denial). But now, it's time to take my power back and start my own research into what can be done to heal myself...
(Click read more, to the right)
Butterfly on Red Clover Blossom, courtesy www.bnd.com
I have revived my inner-intellect, moved beyond fear to acceptance and empowerment, and assessed what the heck has been going on with my body! I am re-reading herbals from Susun Weed, and researching symptoms. I am utilizing trusted sources to self-diagnose since I have no access to medical care: Dr. Christiane Northrup, Dr. Deepak Chopra, Dr. Ben Kim, Dr. Vasant Lad, Dr. Carrie Demers. I am changing my diet, exercise patterns, and utilizing herbal remedies. I am reincorporating tools that are proven: meditation, pranayama (breathing exercises), herbal medicine, journaling (to address the issues I've had to bury for two years), and accepting where I am and who I am instead of struggling so much (acceptance is a prime factor in the ability to regain self-empowerment and then move forward!)!
The first thing I've done (or rather, continued to do, but with more regularity and by adding two new ones) is drink herbal infusions. I've been lucky enough that Susun Weed has actually responded to several of my queries and comments on her FB page (wow!)! I've received direct wisdom and Green Blessings from this Wise Woman! I have also raced through three of her books (I've owned and read all of them years ago): Down There, Menopausal Years, and Healing Wise.
Changes I've made most recently:
- Drinking 2 quarts of nourishing infusions daily, alternating Oatstraw with Red Clover Blossoms, and drinking Stinging Nettle daily. Infusions are not tea! They are much stronger and filled with minerals, protein, and bioavailable forms of vitamins and minerals! http://www.wisewomantradition.com/wisewomanweb/herbal-healing/
- Using part of my nettle infusion on my face and hair, and leaving it in. I've noticed a marked difference in texture. And thickness in only 2 days of doing this!!!
- 1 drop of Iosol Iodine daily
- Speaking my truth: I can't always do it verbally, so I'm writing it all down. This helps get all the anger I have out, present and past
- Eating 1 oz. of kelp/seaweed each week (daily)*
- Practicing Ujjayi breath when stressed https://yogainternational.com/article/view/learn-ujjayi-breath
- Practicing Simhasana (lion pose) to emote and release. https://yogainternational.com/article/view/pranayama-for-boosting-energy
- Random yelling or screaming when I'm out hiking
- Listening to heavy metal or other music that helps bring up the anger, grief, powerlessness, etc. http://youtu.be/Hgfqi7atWsk http://youtu.be/PtX73nBZnYI
- hitting a pillow with something*
- Visualization: Daily! For health, weight loss, physical strength, job, prosperity, creativity, new home, car, energy, etc.
- Visualizing a healthy thyroid and reproductive system
- Practicing Yoga Nidra daily (deep relaxation and stress relief). https://www.parayoga.com/product/relax-into-greatness-cd/
- Doing yoga again
- Stopped drinking alcohol (5 months ago)
- Stopped eating sugary foods (my trigger foods) one week ago (this is hard!). Women should have no more than 25 gr. Sugar per day!**
*haven't started these two yet
I'm beginning to realize how resilient I am, how resilient my body is. I know I can heal my Self; I have the tools, knowledge, and wisdom. It's just about realizing again that I do have the power and taking action! Yay!
** Sugar stats for you:
Women should have no more than 25 gr. of sugar per day!
19 gr. of sugar in one apple,
13 gr. in one sweet potato,
8 oz orange juice has 22 gr sugar,
1 cup 2 % milk has 11 gr sugar!
Sugar doesn't "cause" cancer, but is a contributing factor if you are eating more than 25 gr of sugar!
Source of factual nutritional data: