What's next? I am humorously designating my sabbatical "Gina's Gap Year"! I love it! At first, it was my "Serendipitous Sabbatical", which also has a nice ring, but then I watched some Coming-of-Age RomCom and Gap Year stuck! What should I do? Where should I go? How will I support myself? Will I stay in China? All of these questions flickered through my head since I made this decision on Tuesday! (And I am sure ya'll are freaking out! by now!!) Well, I have let the creative juices fuel this sense of freedom, and I have realized that my Goddess Serendip has opened the double French Doors of Possibilities and Opportunities ...
... I can fulfill my dreams now!
The more I considered the timing and options, the greater my realization that I now have the time to write and dedicate myself to creating published works from which I can sustain myself financially! Or start a business in China! Or start my Master's! From each novel idea proceeded another! Cartwheeling through the French Doors of Possibilities and Opportunities, I discovered more options: a chocolate mousse cake labeled "Eat Me", and a small bottle of soju with a "Drink Me" tag attached. I took the shot and ate the cake and went through the next door. Then, a thin Larry Fishburne appeared, offering me a choice of two pills as he whispered, "After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes." Not surprisingly, I talked him into giving me both, and several more doors opened to the National Ginagraphic Multiverse! Hmmmmmmm... so many opportunities! Helltotheyes!
Which ever direction I walk, I will carry my writing journal and dedicate myself to that pursuit. I've told my closest friends, and received so much support, reaffirming what I already know: best decision had been made!
Done and done!
My main goals are to write and recuperate/rejuvenate from a rough year in a nature-soaked setting of mountains or oceanfront. I will spend 1-6 months working part-time to keep my savings intact while writing -- on a beach or in the mountains, but most likely in the mountains if I am able. I will consider self-employment opportunities that can turn into a long-term business, as well as continuing my education. I will also get my brand going by adding a podcast to my blog. Blog, book, podcast... how can I not succeed!
(Note: Since I started this post two days ago, new options and ideas have been presented, with some change to the original plan, although writing and recuperating are definitely leading the way!)
Queen Latifah's "Book of Possibilities"*:
- Yogaville retreat in Virginia - (Pricey: OW flight starts at $1200).
- Yoga retreat in Rishikesh as an alternative to Yogaville ($265 OW, so Yogaville is out).
- Part-time job teaching somewhere in China, in mountain town or at Uni.
- Part-time teaching somewhere tropical (villa on Thai beach, for example).
- Private tutoring PT somewhere in China.
- Teach online (freedom to be where ever and set my hours!)
- Start a business in E. Tibet that supports locals (school, cafe, BnB, Patreon).
- Start my M.S. (writing, reading instruction, dev. psych, or philosopy).
- Take Tibetan or Mandarin at local Uni and work PT and write (Chengdu or Xining).
- Volunteer at school in Nepal/Kham... start business, Patreon for funding.
- Follow thru with trekking goal for July and August, then continue with step 2.
- Whether sabbatical is outside of China or in, I intend to remain in China long-term.
Start a school
Open a BnB
Open a cafe
Patreon - volunteer teacher and community help in Nepal or Kham (details later)
Podcast + Patreon (details later)
Utilize and build guanxi (Ch. for networking and connections)
- Decide what to do and where to go initially, for July 14-Aug 14 (trekeverydamnday)
- Decide what and where after trek (or just continue trekking!)
- Get visa squared for trek and beyond.
- Pack stuff and store it!
Don't underestimate me ... I always achieve my goals!
*What!!?? You didn't see Last Holiday with the Queen and LL Cool J? You crazy?
Go. Watch it. Now.